RE, SMSC, PSHE and British Values
RE at Catherine Infant School: Educating our pupils to be the best people they can be.
Catherine Infant School follows the Leicester City agreed syllabus for RE. Catherine Infant School holds a SACRE determination for collective worship which reflects our diverse school and the surrounding community.
RE is taught through topic teaching, discrete teaching during religious festivals, celebrating festivals and theme days. Learning experiences are enhanced by pupil visits to different local places of worship and visitors into school.
- Pupils learn about different religions, values, belief, cultures and traditions in our school community, in the UK and globally.
- Pupils learn from religions by reflecting on their own beliefs and how it impacts their lives and their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Overall pupils develop their understanding of morals through rights and wrongs in their everyday life.
- Pupils learn about living together, respecting each other’s beliefs and celebrating similarities and differences.
- Pupils enjoy talking about their beliefs and those of their friends.
- SMSC is implemented through school's high expectations for respectful behaviour and good manners in our whole school community, through planning pupil's learning, pupil's behaviour and staff role models. Pupils thoroughly enjoy their learning - their enthusiasm shines through each learning experience as they share, discuss with a partner, enjoy challenges, partake in new experiences and apply their knowledge making cross curricular links. Pupils and teachers value and take pride in learning as can be seen in the care they take in the presentation of work in books and topic folders.
- Catherine Infant School is a diverse community welcoming people from all over the world. Over 34 languages from a variety of cultures are represented in our school.Through our curriculum, our beliefs and our school values, pupils learn to live together, to respect each other's cultures and beliefs and are prepared for life in modern Britain.Through our programme of assemblies and events including celebrating Diwali, Eid, Vaisakhi, Christmas, Easter, Harvest, Chinese New Year and Navratri pupils and parents share together in each others cultural and spiritual events and celebrations.